The Ministry of Health is strengthening its internal and external communication portfolio through the efficient handling of existing communication channels and tools as well as the introduction of new and social media. This is needed as the Ministry through its Public Relations & Communication arm seeks to widen its reach in terms of the population that requires information surrounding health issues, policies and programmes. The Ministry also seeks to modernize the existing approach to communication to promote inclusiveness and facilitate timely feedback.
The Social Media Coordinator is primarily responsible for coordinating the Ministry of Health’s presence in a number of digital platforms (such as Facebook, Twitter and Google +). The post identifies and creates conversations around matters related to Ministry’s mandate and engage followers in a dynamic, interactive and meaningful way.
The Coordinator will make recommendations regarding the use of current and future social media channels.
- Implement, coordinate and manage all aspects of the Ministry’s social media portfolio.
- Introduce new media and analyse the existing market to determine the best channels of communication for various groups of stakeholders
- Identify new and inventive methods of communication in keeping with the requirements of the Ministry of Health.
- Coordinate other aspects of internal and external communication
- Improve the Ministry of Health’s visibility
- Improve and maintain a strong and positive public image for the Ministry of Health
Scope of Work
- Plan and coordinate social media campaigns across several platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Google +.
- Create and publish content for several platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Google+.
- Maintain and systematically grow the Ministry’s current on-line community across all platforms.
- Identify and recruit influencers and create conversations around issues related to the Ministry’s mandate and keep the on-line community engaged in dynamic, interactive and meaningful ways.
- Along with other team members, design and coordinate multiple social media initiative with the aim of breaking down complexities of issues and humanizing the Ministry’s voice.
- Provide updates and reviews to management on status of social media activities and campaigns.
- Work with other project managers to develop a weekly and monthly content management plan.
- Identify new opportunities to continually improve the social media presence to engage supporters and nurture them into followers.
- Liaise and work graphic designers as needed, to produce visuals and info graphics for use in social media campaigns.
- Support other teams, divisions and branches in the development of joint social media initiatives
Specific Tasks – Social Media
- Work with various teams within the Ministry to gain appropriate input on social networking initiatives and strategies.
- Develop social media plans to generate visibility around all campaigns and special events of the Ministry of Health
- Promote the Ministry’s policies, programmes and initiatives through social media
- Liaise and partner with other Government agencies as necessary
- Serve as content coordinator for the Ministry’s social media sites including Google +, Twitter and Facebook (and other platforms as needed).
- Monitor trends in social media tools and applications and appropriately apply that knowledge to increasing and improve the use of social media.
- Obtain appropriate management approval for all social networking initiatives.
- Ensure that all social networking strategies are compliant with the Ministry’s regulations and social media guidelines.
- Work to ensure consistency across all social media platforms.
- Stay abreast of new social media sites, platforms and emerging technologies.
- Advise on matters related to content and overall user experience of social media sites.
- Help refine and grow content on social media platforms.
- Monitor social media and ensure that there is timely feedback and clarifications as required
- Assist with identifying new and emerging media that can enhance the Ministry’s communication and visibility
- Coordinate and assist with implementing new and emerging media channels
- Coordinate and assist with electronic channels to improve communication output
Research/Review of Material
- Review all material for overall accuracy
- Ensure the accuracy of all material before sharing with internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure that all material shared are in adherence with the policies of the Ministry of Health
- Provide research assistance as required
- Ensure the quality of material for public consumption is of the highest level
Monitoring of Communication Products
- Monitor trends in Social Media tools, applications, channels, design and strategy
- Ensure that all communication products from the Ministry of Health are in keeping with the requirements for quality and accuracy
- Ensure that all communication products adhere to standard Ministry of Health/Government requirements
- Monitor the media and provide a report on the handling of information/misinformation
- Submit monthly reports of communication activities
- Assist with the development of the annual budget and operational plan for the PR & Communication Department
- Assist with the planning of special events
Expected Background and Experience
- Three year experience in social media, marketing and/or (youth) engagement, in particular with social media tools and platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.
- Experience in implementing social media strategies for companies and tracking their success and analysing results is essential.
- Ability to integrate PR/communication initiatives with social media marketing.
- Understand and can utilize emerging platforms and social media measurement tools including.
- Ability to manage multiple initiatives and priorities within specified timeframes.
- Proven ability to present and communicate new projects to a varied audience.
- Proven skills in communication, networking, strategic thinking, advocacy, negotiation.
- Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas as well as transfer knowledge and skills.
- Strong writing and communication skills and the aptitude to handle competing messages and priorities with multiple audiences, including experience in writing for the web.
Interested persons may apply in writing accompanied by resumes. Applications must be submitted no later than August 28, 2017 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health
10A Chelsea Avenue
Please note that responses will be sent to short- listed applicants only