Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the following position.
The position offered emerged from the need for an officer to ensure the timely accomplishment of specific tasks set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) USA through a grant offered for a Project titled ‘Surveillance and Response to Avian and Pandemic Influenza in Jamaica’. This is an initial one (1) year project starting from August 2016. The project is implemented by the Ministry of Health, Jamaica in collaboration with other local and international stakeholders in order to train individuals in the management and data collection of influenza cases in Jamaica with the aim to strengthen and advance our services.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer (M&E Officer) will assist with the reporting of performance measures as required by the CDC. The candidate will have roles in assessment as well as support; therefore Directors and the Project Manager will rely on the candidate’s findings to evaluate frontline personnel effectiveness and plan for future milestones.
- To support the implementation of monitoring and evaluation activities outlined in work plan for Influenza Surveillance Strengthening
- To contribute to the regular analysis and reporting of data in support of service planning and performance management
- To strengthen the capacity of stakeholders in data collection and data management by provision of greater on-site technical assistance.
- Collaborate with professional staff and field officers in the collection, collation, and analysis of data from surveillance system including (but not limited to) data for reporting
- Manage data from sub recipients and partners
- Provide monthly status updates on progress towards meeting indicator targets
- Oversee implementation of various data collection tools by stakeholders and ensure that data is of the highest quality
- Assist with revision of data collection tools and make recommendations based on observations at the field level.
- Enter data into various databases and perform data queries where necessary
- Develop and/or maintain tracking system for reports received and processed.
- Participate in training workshops to build capacity in Monitoring and Evaluation among stakeholders
- Provide technical support on M&E and evidence-based recommendations to the Project Manager and Director, Monitoring & Evaluation
- Ensure that implementation of field activities adhere to CDC’s monitoring and evaluation system
- Participate actively in the project planning process, budget keeping and quality of the results
- Compilation of reports
- Support colleagues in executing other tasks which may be required
- Any other duties as assigned by the Director.
- Monthly reports on M&E activities
- Monthly and annual status update of progress on indicator targets
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Social Sciences or Natural Sciences PLUS at least 4 years M&E/surveillance experience: or
- Master degree in Social Science, Public Health, PLUS at least 2 years M&E/surveillance experience
- Knowledge of Influenza and Public Health Surveillance would be an asset
Required Skills and Specialized Techniques:
- Highly developed data analytical skills
- Ability to use SPSS, SAS, STATA, EpiInfo or equivalent programme
- Strong communication skills, including report writing and confidence in delivering complex presentations to a wide range of audiences
- Good project management, time management and problem solving skills
- Ablility to respond to deadlines and prioritize accordingly
- Ability to interact well and develop positive relationships with Stakeholders of different backgrounds
- Sound knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research and evaluation methods
Interested persons may apply in writing. Applications must be submitted no later than August 28, 2017 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health
10A Chelsea Avenue
Please note that responses will be sent to short- listed applicants only