To develop, monitor and evaluate national health programmes for the development and improvement of the health care services; and to develop norms and standards to guide health care service delivery. In addition, to provide technical guidance to RHAs, Government Agencies/NGOs and International Organizations.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
- Participates in the development and implementation of the strategic direction of the Ministry of Health.
- Leads the development and implementation of the Branch’s Operational Plan and Budget.
- Plans, organizes, direct, controls and coordinates the work and activities of the Health Services Planning and Integration Division.
- Prepares and submits performance and other reports as required and ensures the timely submission of all documents/information requested from the division.
- Determines national priorities for Health Services Development and Implementation in collaboration with the Chief Medical Officer and other Divisional Directors.
- Establishes policies and strategies for national health services development and interfaces with the Regional Directors and Technical staff to facilitate implementation of health programmes.
- Defines monitors and evaluates the implementation of programmes and plans to ensure the proper delivery of health care services nationally.
- Formulates policies and programmes to provide support to vulnerable families and establishes guidelines for monitoring these policies and programmes.
- Collaborates with the National Family Planning Board in the formulation of policies as an integral part of the Community Health Services.
- Promotes, guides, facilitates, monitors and evaluates the integration of Primary and Secondary Health Care Services with the regions and establishes strategies for improvement where necessary.
- Provides technical information for the establishment of technology standards and where necessary for support of the procurement function.
- Maintains linkages with National and International Agencies for the coordination and implementation of projects supported by foreign funding.
- Represents the Ministry of Health at local and international meetings, conferences and other fora as required.
- Maintains overall responsibility for the conduct of medical boards and medical examination for public sector employees and other special groups.
- Ensures the development and implementation of clinical protocols for the delivery of quality health care services.
- Maintains overall responsibility for the recommendation of Income Tax Exemption for the public and special groups.
- Designs and monitors the implementation systems for delivery of mental health and substance abuse services as an integrated part of the health centre and hospital based services.
- Examines the strategic approaches being used to deliver programmes and recommends changes to make these programmes more efficient and effective.
- Contributes to the development and operation of a Health Services Information System to assist in medical research and also the establishment and/or improvement of national policies.
- Defines the modalities of care to be delivered at each organizational level, supports and strengthens the referral systems between levels, determines the consequent staffing requirements and evaluates the effectiveness of these systems at the field level.
- Reviews epidemiological, Demographic and other relevant data to advise on the most appropriate allocation of resources for the delivery of prompt and quality care.
- Liaises with epidemiological research and Analysis Section and the Planning and Evaluation Unit to develop and utilize appropriate data gathering instruments for monitoring the effectiveness of the health care delivery programmes.
- Consults with members of the Medical Associations, Specialist Associations, International Agencies and Business Organizations to evaluate the implication of new concepts, protocols and practices to the National Health Programme.
- Provides periodic and annual reports on the status and trends of various indicators pertaining to the Family Health, Mental and Oral Health Services.
- Liaises with the Health Promotion and Protection Branch in the development and amendment of policies to minimize or control targeted conditions/disorders/diseases.
- Liaises with the Standards and Regulations Branch and assist in the provision of technical expertise and support for the development of national, optimum standards to sustain accreditation component.
- Provides technical advice to other Ministries, Departments and Government Agencies.
- Participates in regional, inter-division, inter-agency, national, international i.e. Caribbean/Latin American relations and follow-up on activities.
- Maintains overarching responsibility to ensure the health and safety of the population and equitable distribution of resources in the regions.
- Develops norms and standards to guide service delivery.
|Sound knowledge of management principles and practices.|
|Excellent knowledge of Government National Health Policy.|
|Sound knowledge of health care practices at the Primary, Secondary and Tertiary levels.|
|Sound knowledge of public health practices.|
|Sound knowledge of current trends and development in the field of medicine.|
|Excellent grasp of research methodology and its application.|
|Knowledge of geographic, political and socio-economic environment.|
|Knowledge of laws and regulations governing the health service.|
|Knowledge of administering projects.|
- Authority to make decisions at the strategic management level in relation to Health Service Development.
- To expend fund in respect of the operations of the Health Service Planning and Integration Branch.
- To recommend leave, disciplinary action and promotion of direct reports according to established human resource policies.
- To review norms and protocols relating to health care delivery systems and recommends changes, as required.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A qualified Medical Doctor
- Post graduate qualification in Public Health and or Community Health with exposure to one or more of the following: Maternal and Child Health, Family Planning, Nutrition, Psychiatry and management of chronic diseases
- Training in Health Service Management
- Eight (8) years experience at a Senior Health Management level.
Interested persons may apply in writing accompanied by resumes. Applications must be submitted no later than September 26, 2017 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health
10A Chelsea Avenue
Please note that responses will be sent to short- listed applicants only