To provide professional advice and guidance with respect to issues of nursing/midwifery in the formulation of policies plans and programmes for the development of the health services and for generally contributing to the research and other developmental endeavours of the Ministry.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
Management and Administrative
- Collaborates with the Permanent Secretary, Chief Medical Officer and other members of the Senior Management team in the process of policy development and planning for the Public Health Sector.
- Participates in the Quarterly and Annual Performance Review to assess the achievements of the Technical Services Division.
- Collaborates with the Chief Medical Officer to develop strategies to facilitate the implementation of the objectives of the Technical Services Division.
- Participates in the preparation of the operational plan and budget for the Technical Services Division.
- Provides technical advice to the Minister of Health as well as staff of the Ministry and Regional Health Authorities on matters pertaining to nursing/midwifery.
- Represents the Ministry at local, regional and international conferences and other for a related to nursing and to health in general.
- Prepares and presents position papers, as required.
- Prepares and submits performance and other reports within the agreed timeframes.
- Develops a National Plan for Nursing/Midwifery, as a component of the National Health Services Plan.
- Conducts evaluation and reports to the Chief Medical Officer on the implementation of the plan.
- Conducts research as required on the impact of Nursing/Midwifery issues on service delivery within the health sector and advice the Chief Medical Officer.
- Develops mechanisms and establishes relationships with the Regional Health Authorities for monitoring and auditing nursing practice.
- Advises the Chief Medical Officer of changes in legislation which can impact on the practice of nursing.
- Develops norms, standards and procedures for Nursing/Midwifery which are consistent with current trends in nursing and health care.
- Collaborates with the Nursing Council and the Nursing Association in developing the philosophy, objectives and goals for nurses in the national health sector.
- Participates with non-governmental organisations and other stakeholders in developing programmes to impact positively on the health status of the nation.
Human Resource Development
- Collaborates with the Curriculum Development Specialist and training institutions to review standards for nursing education to ensure that they are consistent with current trends in nursing and health care.
- Conducts research to determine the manpower needs for all categories of nurses and the appropriate mix and numbers required to adequately staff the service.
- Participates in the recruitment of senior Nursing/Midwifery staff within the Public Health Sector.
- Keeps abreast of research in technical areas promotes the utilisation of findings to improve health care.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Chief Medical Officer.
|Critical Functional/Technical Competencies|
|Knowledge of Health Policies and Procedures|
|Knowledge of International Health regulations and current trends|
|Knowledge of general administrative practices|
|Knowledge of research principles and techniques|
|Sound technical knowledge|
|Excellent negotiation skills|
|Excellent planning and organizing skills|
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors Degree in Nursing
- Certificate in Midwifery
- Masters Degree in Public Service Management/Health Services Management or equivalent; Plus
- Ten (10) years experience within the Public Health Sector at the management level.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE JOB
- Typical work environment, no adverse working conditions
Interested persons may apply in writing accompanied by resumes. Applications must be submitted no later than February 24, 2017 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health
10A Chelsea Avenue
Please note that responses will be sent to short- listed applicants only